School Advisory Council
7231 Miami Carol City Senior High School
Verified EESAC Meeting Minutes for: 08/20/2008 03:00 PM
Please contact the school for a formatted hard copy of these minutes.
Recording Secretary: Cynethia M
Location of meeting: Media Center, 3422 NW 187th Street
Was a quorum established? Yes
Was the meeting advertised? Yes, 08/08/2008
Kim W. Cox (Principal)
Paula Alston (parent)
Cynethia McKire (Secretary)
Stephen Backs (teacher/ chair)
Shelly Jordan (teacher)
Kathy Alexander (teacher)
Bridget McKinney (Guest)
Shakara Johnson (student)
Members Absent (Excused):
Dierdra Anderson (faculty)
Paul Moore (faculty)
Members Absent (Unexcused):
No one had an unexcused absence.
No one else was present.
1. Previous Minutes from last meeting approved with a few minor changes.
2. Banner Proposal proposal initiated and approved. Cost was agreed upon. Mr. Backs informed EESAC that he would meet with Ms. Sales and also showed the committee what the new banner would look like. It was agreed that the banner would identify the web site for Parent Portal. Parent could then log on the Parent Portal and receive instructions. EESAC would pay for the banner.
3. Approximately $25,000 to 26,000 is in EESAC budget.
1. SIP Report was reviewed and agreed upon. SIP would focus on intervention. Miami Carol City Senior High School would be match with Michael Krop who has maintained a A or B FCAT Score. Principal Matthew Welker, former Assistant Principal for Miami Carol City Senior High School would be our intervention focus.
Reviewed strategies for SIP for Reading, Writing, Mathematics, and Science. Add Science Fair, Student Mentors, and Science Labs under strategies.
2. Bench Mark FCAT and Sunshine States Standards will be our main focus this school year.
3. Barrington Irving visit to the school was a success. 25 to 30 students involved. Barrington Irving project will continue during the 2008-2009 school year.
4. Students will build a two seater airplane for Irving to fly. Yearbook staff took pictures of Barrington Irving for our yearbook. Channel 10 is involved and will follow through on this project.
5. Credit Card Incentives was discussed with members
6. Printers ordered. EESAC will cover half the cost and the remaining cost would be covered through the school budget. Dell and HP printers were discussed. Dell printers can only use Dell products, so the cost for ink would be cheaper if we use HP printers. HP printers range from $118 to $125 per printer. You do not need to use HP ink cartridges you can use a cheaper brand. Ms.Cox asks Mr. Gantheir to survey teachers to see who needs a printer. The survey is not completed at this time. Teachers who need a printer will receive one and only one ink cartridge. Replacement cartridge will be the responsible of the teacher.
7. EESAC meeting was not posted on the MCC website; however Mr. Backs notified all staff of the EESAC meeting. It was discussed that we notify all members, including our parents, business leaders maybe through e-mail, phone or flyers.
8. Also it was discussed that we will start reviewing attendance of members. Members not attending meetings will be eliminated.
New Members suggested were: Chaz Wright replacing Micheal Cruz
Jasmine Jacson replacing Chardae Jinks
Shayla Dobson need a replacement
Diana Washington New Regular Parent
Bernard Washington Alternative
Mr. & Mrs. Gentle possible members
Daphney Scott, Parent possible member
Connie Carswell, Parent Possible member
Pamela Daniels, Parent Possible member
Ms. Jordan, Activities Director would speak to the possible candidates for new membership and let the group know at our next meeting.
9. Miami Carol City Senior High School is a Title One School.
10. SPOT TO SUCCESS A new program was introduce to the faculty on Tuesday, January 22, 2008 faculty meeting. This program is online and staff can recognize students who are a success on line. This program is a part of the Teacher Portal.
11. SLC Small Learning Communities Grant will continue 2008-2009 school year.
SLC budget cannot be used for Media Matching Funds SLC budget can only be used for inservices, stipends, and retreats.
12. Secondary School Reform Faculty Meeting on Tuesday, January 22, 2008, Staff voted to continue Secondary School Reform.
13. Credit Card Incentives for our students is doing well. They earn or lose points for attendance, dress code, good behavior, etc. Point system: 200 points free ticket to the prom; 45 points out of uniform for a day; 25 points no after school detention (with administrators input) according to the detention 25 points free pizza. We are still waiting on an answer from EESAC ruling on what we can offer students as an incentive. i.e. ipod, flat screen TV, digital camera, Miami Carol City Senior High jackets, movie tickets, and game works. It was decided that incentives given to students would be done on a small scale. Also, we formed a committee to visit businesses, department stores, McDonalds, Star Buck, and etc. This committee will visit and ask for in-kind contributions for our students. Committee members: Ms. Alvesta Walker, Ms. Kathy Alexander, Ms. Shelly Jordan, Mr. Christopher Harris and Ms. Myra White.
14. Uniform policy discussed we will continue to reinforce the uniforms policy.
15. New building construction update: (New building construction is on the move again). Ms. Cox met with the construction company and members from the Miami-Dade County Public Schools. New building is going to very beautiful. Color board for new building should go before the schools board sometime March or May. Tile along the corridor they want to remove from building plans but we are asked that the tile be put back in the plans. We also discussed that the new existing building has graffiti and it needs to be removed.
Ms. Coxs and others visited Miami Jackson Senior High School new building on January 16, 2008 (Beautiful Building). Smart boards and projectors were installed in new building and training was provided.
16. The auditorium is in bad shape and needs repairs. Ms. Cox will meet with Mr. Alvey, Zone Mechanic to see where we stand with repairs.
17. Cameras will be installed in the new building.
18. 400 new desk top computers were ordered for MCC Sr.
19. PTA meets every second Tuesday of the month. We need a campaign for PTA before the end of the year.
20. FCAT shirt order See Ms. Cooper to order.