School Advisory Council
7571 International Studies Preparatory Academy
Verified EESAC Meeting Minutes for: 02/02/2012 02:30 PM
Please contact the school for a formatted hard copy of these minutes.
Recording Secretary: Marisol Marin-Restrepo
Location of meeting: International Studies - Media Center
Was a quorum established? Yes
Was the meeting advertised? Yes, 07/11/2011
Perez, Alejandro (Principal)
Iglesias, Caridad (Teacher)
Marin-Restrepo, Marisol (Teacher)
Jose Hernandez (Teacher)
Milian, Nathalie (Teacher)
Rodriguez, Deanna (Teacher)
Ruiz, Richard (Alternate Teacher/Paraprofessional)
Calvo, Tamara (Educational Support Employee)
Luz Franco, (Parent)
Luque, Thais (Parent)
Jacobs, Melissa (Business/Community Representative)
Members Absent (Excused):
Martin, Onelio (Alternate Educational Support)
Bustamante, Rocio (Parent)
Ferre, Helen (Parent)
Gimenez-Zapiola, Fernando (Parent)
Parchment, Samantha (Alternate Parent)
Kassner, Samantha (Student)
Gimenez-Zapiola, Camila (Alternate Student)
Bermudez, Miguel (Business/Community Representative)
Members Absent (Unexcused):
No one had an unexcused absence.
International Studies Preparatory Academy EESAC
February 2, 2012
• Approval of minutes from previous meeting
• School Improvement Plan 2011-2012 Review /Updates
• Recruitment and Marketing Update
• PTSA Update
• School Grade Presentation and Review
• School activities and events review
• New Business
I. Call to order
Mr. Alejandro Perez called to order the regular meeting of the EESAC Committee at 2:15pm on February 2, 2012 in at International Studies Preparatory Academy at Gables.
II. Roll call
The following persons were present: Mr. Perez, Mrs. Iglesias, Mrs. Rodriguez, Mrs. Milian, Mr. Hernandez, Mr. Courel, Mr. Ruiz, Mrs. Marin-Restrepo, Mrs. Franco, and Mrs. Luque, Ms. Calvo, Mr. Mazloum, Ms. Jacobs.
III. Approval of minutes from last meeting
Motion to approve minutes by Mrs. Milian and seconded by Mr. Hernandez. Minutes were approved by all members.
IV. Open issues
a) School Improvement Plan 2011-2012 Update
1. Reading and Writing results.
2. On-going monitoring of the SIP with the objectives and goals set for the school.
3. ISPA was not required to submit a mid-year report for the SIP for 2011-2012.
4. Additional information will be provided at the next EESAC Meeting.
b) Recruitment and Marketing Update (as of February 2, 2012)
1. There are 508 applicants for 2012-2013 as of February 2, 2012.
2. 495 are applying to 9th grade
3. 260 meet all the criteria
4. 125 to 150 seats are available
5. The goal is to have 3 applicants per available seat.
6. Process will continue until the beginning of the 2012-2013 school year in August 2012.
c) PTSA discussed upcoming events.
V. New business
a) Overview of Proposed School Grading Formula for 2011-2012.
1. More accountability-Dept. of Education of Florida is raising the standards in order for schools to maintain their A or B letter grade. Additional requirements being implemented.
2. More assessments – students will be participating in End of Year Course (EOC) exams in Algebra I, Geometry and Biology. Additional EOC tests are being implemented in Civics and History in the future.
3. High School Grading formula – 800 points for FCAT related and 800 points for other factors such as Graduation rates, Advanced Placement participation, SAT, ACT.
b) School Activities
1. After-school writing workshop by Mrs. Milian for 10th graders
2. Algebra and Biology EOC prep sessions for students starting in April 2012 for 10 sessions to assist students with the Algebra I and Biology EOC. Open to any student after school.
c) The EESAC has $530.00 dollars to purchase materials, supplies or incentives for students.
1. Need to decide how to spend it appropriately.
Mr. Alejandro Perez adjourned the meeting at 3:00 p.m.
Minutes submitted by: Mrs. Marin-Restrepo