School Advisory Council
7571 International Studies Preparatory Academy
Verified EESAC Meeting Minutes for: 03/08/2012 02:30 PM
Please contact the school for a formatted hard copy of these minutes.
Recording Secretary: Marisol Marin-Restrepo
Location of meeting: International Studies Preparatory Academy at Gables (Media Center
Was a quorum established? Yes
Was the meeting advertised? Yes, 02/28/2012
Perez, Alejandro (Principal)
Iglesias, Caridad (Teacher)
Marin-Restrepo, Marisol (Teacher)
Milian, Nathalie (Teacher)
Rodriguez, Deanna (Teacher)
Calvo, Tamara (Educational Support Employee)
Melissa Jacobs, (BCR)
Ruth Suarez, Parent
Luque, Thais (Parent)
Members Absent (Excused):
Bustamante, Rocio (Parent)
Ferre, Helen (Parent)
Gimenez-Zapiola, Fernando (Parent)
Parchment, Samantha (Alternate Parent)
Martin, Onelio (Alternate Educational Support)
Kassner, Samantha (Student)
Gimenez-Zapiola, Camila (Alternate Student)
Bermudez, Miguel (Business/Community Representative)
Members Absent (Unexcused):
No one had an unexcused absence.
Sylvian Mazloum, Parent
Jose Courel, Teacher
Ruiz, Richard, Teacher
Jose Hernandez, Teacher
International Studies Preparatory Academy at Gables (ISPA)
March 8, 2012
o Approval of minutes from previous EESAC Meeting on February 2, 2012
o School Improvement Plan 2011-2012 Review/Updates
o Declaration of School Uniforms
o EESAC Funds distribution
o School Improvement Plan Waivers
o School Activities and events review
o PTA Update
o New Business
II. Call to order
Mr. Alejandro Perez called to order the regular meeting of the EESAC Committee at 2:30pm on March 8, 2012 in Coral Gables.
III. Roll call
The following persons were present: Mr. Perez, Mrs. Iglesias, Ms. Rodriguez, Ms. Milian, Mr. Hernandez, Ms. Luque, Mr. Courel, Mr. Ruiz, Mrs. Marin-Restrepo, Ms. Suarez, Mr. Mazloum, and Ms. Jacobs, Ms. Calvo.
IV. Approval of minutes from last meeting
Motion to approve minutes by Mrs. Iglesias and seconded by Ms. Milian. Minutes were approved by all members.
V. Open issues
A. School Improvement Plan 2011-2012 Update
1. Need to wait for Reading and Writing results.
2. Data will be available towards the end of the school year and beginning of the summer.
3. Tutoring for Writing has been provided by Ms. Milian
4. Tutoring for the following subjects will begin in April 2012.
a. Algebra I
c. AP European History
B. Declaration of School Uniforms
1. School will keep the same uniforms as implemented at the opening of the school. No vote required.
C. Recruitment Update
1. French: 57 students made it through the lottery.
a. French: 25 seats are available; and the rest will be on wait-list.
2. Italian: We still have low number of applicants.
a. The goal is 10 to 12 students.
3. Spanish: 246 made it through the lottery.
a. Spanish: 100 seats are available
4. Addition of a 4th language is not being considered at this time.
5. The 11th grade class will have 20 to 25 students
6. The 10th grade class will have approximately 69 students.
7. The 9th grade class will have between 125-135 students.
VI. New business
A. EESAC Fund Distribution
1. Resources for students will be bought using the Teachers’ “Wish Lists”
2. Make an adjustment to the Roster by Adding Ruth Suarez, Parent and removing Mr. Fernando Gimenez-Zapiola effective March 8, 2012 - not able to attend.
B. School Improvement Plan Waivers
ISPA is requesting that no changes to exisiting Contract Waivers be approved for the 2012-2013 school year. All committee members were in favor of not requesting any changes to the exisiting SIP waiver.
1. Yes, the school may have an eighth-period day pending additional funding in order to implement eight period schedule.
2. Each period will be ninety minutes long.
3. Four periods on one day and another four periods on the next day – 1,3,5,7 and 2,4,6,8.
C. School Activities and events review
1. Mr. Ruiz talked about the creation of a “Wellness Council” to promote health awareness.
a. The goal is to involve students, parents, faculty, and staff.
2. Ms. Jacobs stated her ability to involve the Health Eating Specialist from Wholefood supermarket to collaborate with the council
3. Mr. Perez suggested the possibility of offering after-school exercise counseling next year.
4. Mrs. Iglesias will be conducting the CELLA testing right after spring break.
5. Mrs. Iglesias provided complete guidelines and calendar for all of the applicable 2011-2012 tests.
6. Mr. Perez stated there will be tutoring available beginning in April for Biology and Algebra EOC exams.
7. Mr. Perez explained the media center will have books by the summer.
8. Wireless tablet-PCs and laptops will be available for students in the media center.
9. Ms. Jacobs announced Wholefood’s Festival to celebrate Earth month in conjunction with the students from ISPA, whom will create art pieces using recycled material and be part of a competition and a family event at Whole Foods Market Coral Gables after school hours.
VII. ISPA PTSA NEWS
1. General PTSA meeting will be scheduled for April 2012.
Mr. Alejandro Perez adjourned the meeting at 3:20 p.m.
Minutes submitted by: Mrs. Marin-Restrepo