School Advisory Council
7571 International Studies Preparatory Academy
Verified EESAC Meeting Minutes for: 11/01/2012 02:30 PM
Please contact the school for a formatted hard copy of these minutes.
Recording Secretary: Maria Lugo
Location of meeting: ISPA - Media Cneter
Was a quorum established? No
Was the meeting advertised? Yes, 09/04/2012
Perez, Alejandro (Principal)
Bez, Lilliam (Teacher)
Iglesias, Caridad (Teacher)
Marin-Restrepo, Marisol (Teacher)
Rodriguez, Deanna (Teacher)
Ruiz, Richard (Alternate Teacher/Paraprofessional)
Zanaska, Steven (Student)
Members Absent (Excused):
Calvo, Tamara (Educational Support Employee)
Martin, Onelio (Alternate Educational Support)
Bustamante, Rocio (Parent)
Luque, Thais (Parent)
Mazloum, Sylvain (Parent)
Medina, Yuli (Parent)
Michienzi, Enza (Alternate Parent)
Maziak, Noura (Alternate Student)
Bermudez, Miguel (Business/Community Representative)
Jacobs, Melissa (Business/Community Representative)
Members Absent (Unexcused):
No one had an unexcused absence.
International Studies Preparatory Academy at Gables (ISPA)
November 1, 2012
• Approval of minutes from previous from previous EESAC Meeting on September 27, 2012
• School Improvement Plan 2012-2013 Review and Updates
• Baseline Testing Updates/Interim Assessment Status
• School Recognition Program Discussion
• Committee Updates
• Open Forum/New Business
II. Call to Order
• Ms. Rodriguez called the EESAC Committee Meeting to order at 2:30 p.m., on November 1st, 2012, at International Studies Preparatory Academy at Gables (ISPA).
III. Roll Call
• The following people were present: Mr. Perez, Ms. Rodriguez, Mr. Ruiz, Mr. Hernandez, Ms. Bez, Mr. Courel, Ms. Lugo, Mr. Alvarez, Ms. Iglesias, Ms. Marin-Restrepo, Ms. Franco, Marcos Covarrubias, Steven Zaneska, and Teresa Gonzalez
IV. Approval of Minutes from November 1, 2012
• Approval of minutes will be conducted at the next EESAC Meeting because the business representatives were absent.
V. Open Issues
A. Recruitment Update
1. Mr. Perez is holding open enrollment from October 1st through January 15th of 2013.
2. Mr. Perez is visiting local middle schools in an effort to recruit students.
3. Currently, we have received over 100 applications for the upcoming school year.
B. School Improvement Plan 2012-2013 Review and Updates
1. Copies of the 2012-2013 School Improvement Plan are available. Anyone that is interested may ask Mr. Perez for a copy.
2. The District approved the 2012-2013 School Improvement Plan. However, the School Board’s approval is still pending.
3. School continues to monitor SIP and review goals and objectives as needed.
VI. Baseline Testing Updates/Interim Assessment Status
1. Mr. Perez reviewed the Baseline Interim Assessment scores with the group. He gave a detailed explanation of students’ scores in the areas of Reading, Writing, Algebra I, Geometry, Biology, and US History for all grade levels.
VII. New Business
A. School Recognition Program Discussion
1. ISPA follows the Elementary K-8 Schedule of School Recognition Funding.
2. Mr. Perez asked members to develop various plans for the distribution of funds.
3. EESAC members will be voting for one of the proposed plans during the next session.
B. Committee Updates
1. The trip to Spain was cancelled.
2. Seventeen students along with Mr. Perez and Ms. Rodriguez are scheduled to attend CLOSE UP in Washington, D.C. for 6 days/5 nights during the Spring of 2013.
3. Tenth and eleventh grade students are scheduled to visit Universal Studios on May 31, 2013.
4. Ninth grade students are scheduled to attend EPCOT on May 24, 2013.
5. Mr. Ruiz asked EESAC members to join the Wellness Council.
6. Mr. Ruiz requested that members give suggestions for Fundraising. Funds will be used to promote wellness and to establish a garden on the roof terrace.
7. Mr. Ruiz will be sponsoring a Car Wash on November 17, 2012.
8. Thanks to the suggestion given by Miss Teresa Gonzalez, a tenth grade student, Mr. Ruiz and Mr. Perez agreed to start the Phoenix Fitness Club.
9. Mr. Ruiz mentioned that teachers are also welcome to join the Fitness Club.
10. Ms. Restrepo mentioned that her grant request was approved by Fairchild Tropical Gardens, and she will be establishing a garden at ISPA with the funds from the grant.
• Ms. Iglesias made a motion to adjourn the meeting, and Ms. Bez seconded the motion.
Minutes submitted by: Mrs. Maria Lugo