School Advisory Council
7571 International Studies Preparatory Academy
Verified EESAC Meeting Minutes for: 12/06/2012 03:30 PM
Please contact the school for a formatted hard copy of these minutes.
Recording Secretary: Marisol Marin-Restrepo
Location of meeting: ISPA - Media Center
Was a quorum established? Yes
Was the meeting advertised? Yes, 09/04/2012
Perez, Alejandro (Principal)
Bez, Lilliam (Teacher)
Iglesias, Caridad (Teacher)
Marin-Restrepo, Marisol (Teacher)
Rodriguez, Deanna (Teacher)
Ruiz, Richard (Alternate Teacher/Paraprofessional)
Calvo, Tamara (Educational Support Employee)
Luque, Thais (Parent)
Mazloum, Sylvain (Parent)
Zanaska, Steven (Student)
Members Absent (Excused):
Martin, Onelio (Alternate Educational Support)
Bustamante, Rocio (Parent)
Medina, Yuli (Parent)
Michienzi, Enza (Alternate Parent)
Maziak, Noura (Alternate Student)
Bermudez, Miguel (Business/Community Representative)
Jacobs, Melissa (Business/Community Representative)
Members Absent (Unexcused):
No one had an unexcused absence.
International Studies Preparatory Academy at Gables (ISPA)
December 6, 2012
• Approval of minutes from prior EESAC meeting on September 27, 2012 and November 1, 2012
• School Improvement Plan 2012-2013 Review ad Updates
• Fall Interim Assessment Status
• School Recognition Program Discussion
• EESAC Funds Distribution
• Committee Updates
• Open Forum/New Business
II. Call to Order
• Mr. Perez called the EESAC committee meeting to order at 2:30 p.m., on December 6, 2012, at International Studies Preparatory Academy at Gables (ISPA).
III. Roll Call
• Mr. Perez, Ms. Iglesias, Ms. Rodriguez, Mr. Ruiz, Mr. Hernandez, Ms. Bez, Mr. Courel, Ms. Lugo, Ms. Marin-Restrepo, Ms. Franco, Mr. Mazloum, Mrs. Luque, Heidy Gonzalez, and Steven Zanaska, Tamara Calvo
IV. Approval of Minutes from November 1, 2012
• First by Ms. Lugo and Seconded by Ms. Bez
• Minutes from September 27 and November 1 were approved by all members.
V. Open Issues
1. Open enrollment continues through January 15th of 2013
2. Mr. Perez continues recruiting for new students in middle schools.
B. School Improvement Plan 2012-2012 Review and Updates
1. Copies are available upon request
2. They can be obtained from Mr. Perez
VI. Winter Interim Assessment Status
A. Ms. Iglesias explained Winter Interim exams will be administered on the first week of school after December’s school break.
VII. School Recognition Program Discussion
A. Mr. Perez predicted that approximately $8600 could be received in total.
B. On January 24th, we will have the amount awarded to the school; and we will vote on the bonus’ distribution.
C. Mr. Perez explained the State of Florida recognizes a school that increases its grade or that maintains a grade of A.
D. A possible breakdown of the funds was presented by Mr. Perez:
1. $800 to be distributed among 8 F/T Instructional Employees
2. $400 to be distributed among 4 F/T Non-Instructional Employees
3. $200 to be distributed among 3 P/T Employees
VIII. EESAC Funds Distribution
A. Currently, there are $940.34
B. The Language Department is implementing the use of e-readers through the Nook tablet purchased from Barnes and Noble.
C. Mr. Perez proposed to use the money to buy the license of at least 3 books to be downloaded on “Nook” E-readers tablets.
D. The plan is to have a class set of 25 Nooks to be shared with other teachers within the department.
IX. Committee Updates
A. Students will go to a fieldtrip to Washington D.C. with Ms. Rodriguez
B. On May 24th, the 9th graders will go to Epcot Center on a fieldtrip.
C. On May 31st, students on grades 10th and 11th will go to Universal Studios.
X. Open Forum/New Business
A. Mr. Ruiz is preparing a fieldtrip to a gym to show students other fitness programs available.
B. Mr. Perez explained the School’s Newsletter is ready and accessible through the school’s website.
C. Mrs. Iglesias stated the PSAT scores have arrived.
D. Mrs. Iglesias mentioned the importance of providing college preparedness information for students, as well as details on SAT exams.
E. Mr. Ruiz made a motion to adjourn the meeting, and Ms. Iglesias seconded the motion.
Minutes submitted by: Mrs. Restrepo